Friday, July 28, 2006

A picture says a thousand words...

A picture says a thousand words...

This to me is a complete understatement. I am an artist. I believe everyone is an artist. Okay, okay, let me explain! Some just have not discovered how to let their creative side surface. Some don't realize that it already comes out in a variety of ways and because society has taught them they have to paint or make a pot from clay they don't believe they are creative or artistic. I had an art professor who once gave our class this to think about: Go into any kindergarten classroom and ask "Who can draw? Who is an artist? Who can create?". Just about every hand shoots up in the air with great enthusiasum. Go into that same class of kids in about eight years, say seventh grade, and ask that same question. You might get a couple of hands, maybe. Sad. And forget about asking adults. I'd say 90% claim to have no creative ability whatsoever. Something happens in that critical time in our young lives. Do we learn at such a young age to compare ourselves to others and listen to what society says even about our own personal expressions of art? It's in there, it has just been covered up, stifled, pushed in the back of our brains for so long.
I have not painted since college, or any other art form for that matter (not talking crafts here). Just been busy with life you know, marriage and family. But I miss it and realize it is a vital part of who I am. I am trying to get back into my art. My sweet husband made me an easiel/medevil catapult for the garage to get me started. (It is an extremely sturdy large herricane ready easiel!) So I am ready whenever I make the time. Showing my work is another issue. It is an extremely intimate part of an artist. Art is not about the end result, it is about the journey. With me, there is a lot of thinking, planning, prepration and inspiration. Lately I have been inspired by christian music and particular passages from God's Word, even though I have yet to draw these out and paint them, He is giving me a new perspective on passages and music I've heard a hundred times. So you see, to show a finished work or even a simple drawing to others is like unzipping my heart. Showing them what's going on inside my mind. It makes me vulnerable. However, I am going to get better at this because I believe God wants me to share more! I encourage everyone to do something creative, it's therapy! It gives your mind a break. Noone has to see it. If you like circles, just draw circles: big, little, inside, linked, all kinds. See, start small. It's the journey, not the end result.
Cathy

1 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy!
I am so proud of you! Computer whiz! Your comments are so true. If you asked my kids they are perfect singers, dancers, cooks, artists and experts on EVERYTHING! If you ask me what my talent is I would say nothing and that is not true. I remember what Kristen's art class said "Everyone is an artist. Art is taught and learned" We have shared so much over the years and I am excited I get to share this experience with you. Love you always!!
Tina Reichwein

 

Post a Comment

<< Home